Saturday 29 March 2014

Dulce

I want to tell you a little bit about a girl at the school.  Her name is Dulce.

Dulce is in kindergarten and is around 5 years old.  She's lived more in her short years then most people do in a lifetime.  When Dulce was younger she was  sexually abused.  Because of this trauma at such a young age, she has learning disabilities (or so we think) and is struggles socially with her other classmates.  She is now living in a family that loves her and truly cares about her.

At the beginning of the year we were told to not expect much from her.  As long as she could participate and interact with others, then that was good enough.  That just doesn't seem right to me.  I believed she could do more. 

I remembered a short documentary I watch about a little girl in a similar situation as a child.  At the end of this documentary, the young girl had changed so dramatically that you could barely recognized her.  She was adopted into a christian environment and had parents that continued to show God's love to her.

I believe the same for Dulce's life here at the school.  It's only been three months into school and I have noticed a difference in her already.  Yesterday I was helping her write down words and drawing pictures.  I wrote down the word "pencil" and asked her to copy it.  Not only did she copy it but she wrote better then others in her class.  She was able to do the same to a few of the picture to match the vocab and she copied the pictures as well.  Now the pictures weren't perfect but and she was still easily distracted, but her demeanor has changed.  She was truly happy and joyous while I was working with her.  She has gotten better in the social environment with her classmates (from what I've seen).

She has been capturing my attention recently.  I can see a joy in her that was not there at the beginning of the year.  I believe that God will heal her completely from the trauma of her past, a trauma that was not at all her fault.  Her joy is incredible to see.  Even her smile has changed.  It's bigger and brighter, full of life.  I can't wait to see what God does in her life this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment