Saturday 1 March 2014

Typical Day

So, I never realized how much of a commitment writing a blog would be.  I'm trying to do them pretty consistently so Everyone can know how my life is here in Guatemala.

I feel like I'm finally getting into the swing of things here.  My typical day consists of waking up at 6:30 so I can be at the school for 7.  In the mornings all the teachers are divided with particular jobs that change daily.  So I am either greeting kids when they come off the bus, at the door or in the street in front of the school.  I personally use this time to load up on my cup of coffee.

Then it's time for devotions from 7:30-8.  This is probably my favorite time during the day.  Just imagine a room full of 250 kids from prekindergarten to middle school all praising God.  It's fantastic to be apart of it.  We often use that time to pray for needs within the school and for teachers, principles, sponsors and workers involved in the school.

Finally it's breakfast time.  Yay!!! The kids enjoy the delicious cooking skills of hermana Ana (sister Ana).  My favorite breakfast is rice and beans.  Yes, I know what you're thinking, that's so simple!  But you have never tasted Ana's beans before.  They are fantastic!!!!  Also I might just be a huge fan of rice and beans.

Then classes begin.  While I'm not teaching classes myself, I help out in the English classroom, mostly with the younger grades.  I also do one-on-one classes with two students who are advanced in English, Jenny and Ester, and they are also out upstairs neighbors! They are great!  So whenever their grades have English class, I give them lessons.

I finish the school day at 1:30 so I walk home and grab some lunch.  Around 2:30ish, I begin homeschooling with the younger girls, Genesis and Samantha (also our upstairs neighbors).  We learn anything from different cultures to vocab and spelling to poetry.  It is never a dull moment with those two!  They have quite the imagination, to say the least.

So, that is basically where my day ends.  Sometimes we have church meetings that we need to go to or play soccer or hang out with the kids upstairs.

On the weekends, we do many things, depending on the weekend.  Last weekend a group of us went to a really nice restaurant overlooking Antigua.  It was a fantastic view and a relaxing time for us all to hang out. Then we found the helicopter landing area and decided to hang out there for a bit.

Here are a few pictures from that for your enjoyment!!!

Look, Antigua!

Fantastic people I live and work with.
(Kayla, Juice, Karla, Dan, and Jimmy)

Me!

Josh!

Jimmy, Karla, and Juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment